For Immediate Release
April 02, 2012
Burger King Corp.
Miguel Piedra, 305-378-7277
Vice President, Global Communications
Michelle Miguelez, 305-378-7277
Director, Global Communications
Kristen Hauser, 305-378-7457
(BPRW) The HOME OF THE WHOPPER® Serves up a Freshly Expanded Menu Featuring Great-Tasting Garden Fresh Salads, Snack Wraps, Crispy Chicken Strips, Real Fruit Smoothies and Frappés
National Advertising Campaign Kicks Off Today With New Commercials Featuring David Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Salma Hayek, Jay Leno, Steven Tyler and Sofia Vergara
Exciting things are happening at BURGER KING® restaurants nationwide. America's Favorite Burger, the WHOPPER® sandwich, is sharing the spotlight on the BURGER KING® menu as the brand today unwraps its broadest expansion of food offerings in its 58-year history. Guests across the country can now enjoy a wider range of freshly-prepared, great-tasting food, which provides a variety of better-for-you options. More than a dozen new best-in-class BK® menu items are being introduced, including Garden Fresh Salads, Snack Wraps, Crispy Chicken Strips, Real Fruit Smoothies and Frappés, all made-to-order with fresh new flavors that live up to the brand's signature great taste.
"We spent the last year analyzing every aspect of our business to better understand what our guests expect from the BURGER KING® dining experience," said Steve Wiborg, president, North America, Burger King Corp. (BKC). "We found that consumers wanted a broader range of menu options to complement our signature fire-grilled burgers. This expanded menu gives consumers more choices and more reasons to visit BURGER KING® restaurants."
The new menu items include:
- Garden Fresh Salads: BLT, Apple and Cranberry or classic Caesar Salad varieties are made fresh-to-order, premium ingredients and topped with a choice of TENDERCRISP® or TENDERGRILL® chicken (suggested retail price starts at $4.99).
- Chicken Snack Wraps: Honey Mustard Crispy Chicken Snack Wrap and the Ranch Crispy Chicken Snack Wrap are flavorful snack options with less than 400 calories each (suggested retail price of $1.59).
- Real Fruit Smoothies: Tropical Mango and Strawberry Banana smoothies are made with low-fat yogurt, real fruit and juices, providing a full serving of fruit (suggested retail price of $2.29).
- Frappés: Mocha and Caramel flavors are made-to-order with a hint of coffee and ice, topped with whipped topping and a swirl of fudge or caramel (suggested retail price of $2.29).
- Crispy Chicken Strips: Premium Crispy Chicken Strips are made with white meat tenderloin chicken, marinated and lightly battered in seasoned home-style breading, served in three- or five-piece servings and perfect for dipping in one of our classic or bold new sauces, such as new Kung Pao and Roasted Jalapeño Barbecue sauces (suggested retail price starts at $2.99).
"Over the past year, we developed and tested more than two dozen menu items," said Wiborg. "After extensive consumer testing in both our test kitchens and at restaurants around the country, our consumers chose these as their favorites. From there we worked hard to make sure these new items are truly the best of what our brand has to offer."
Star-studded National Advertising Launching Today
The new best-in-class menu items deserve the star treatment and the company enlisted a diverse cast of A-list celebrities representing the many faces of the American melting pot. Stars kicking off the national advertising campaign include: David Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Salma Hayek, Jay Leno, Steven Tyler and Sofia Vergara. The famous faces showcase the newest menu items in a variety of fun, lighthearted scenes taking place at their favorite BK® restaurant.
"This is an exciting time for BURGER KING® and that's why we're getting the word out in a big way," said Alex Macedo, BKC's senior vice president, North America marketing. "Our star-studded ads will generate awareness and buzz for the brand and highlight our new food in unique and refreshing ways."
The various spots showcase each celebrity at their best:
- Jay Leno kicks off the campaign and finds his own drive-thru lane to showcase the menu lineup.
- David Beckham heats up the front counter when he orders a cool, healthy Real Fruit Smoothie.
- Mary J. Blige sings her heart out and hits a high note for Crispy Chicken Snack Wraps.
- Steven Tyler gets things rockin' at BK® with hot and crispy Crispy Chicken Strips.
- Salma Hayek plays a diverse cast of BK® customers, ordering Garden Fresh Salads, Crispy Chicken Snack Wraps and Crispy Chicken Strips, while showing off her acting chops in English and Spanish language ads.
- Sofia Vergara dons a BK® uniform and spices up the kitchen, making a Garden Fresh Salad and Real Fruit Smoothie in Spanish language ads.
"With their latest initiatives, BURGER KING® is showing commitment to areas that I'm passionate about, such as supporting charities, helping children and improving the healthier eating options," said David Beckham. "I am happy to help the brand launch its first smoothie platform, which is a great addition to any diet."
The series of ads are part of a national, multi-platform marketing campaign that will also extend across social media and digital applications. Additionally, the brand will deploy sampling trucks across the country and invite everyone to try out the new menu items at local events in communities nationwide. Consumers can track the trucks beginning April 18th on www.bk.com.
Enhanced Restaurant Experience
Guests visiting BK® restaurants to try the new items or their favorite BK® classics will find enhancements at every location. From new easy-to-navigate digital menu boards in the dining room and streamlined merchandising at the drive-thru, to new employee uniforms and crisp, new packaging, these new elements will create an even better dining experience.
"We are energized by the positive momentum of our brand and believe these enhancements to the BURGER KING® dining experience will give guests more reasons to come back," added Wiborg. "We invite guests to come on in and check out our new menu additions, enhanced restaurant look, and stick with us as we continue to reinvigorate our brand."
ABOUT BURGER KING CORPORATION
Founded in 1954, BURGER KING® is the second largest fast food hamburger chain in the world. The original HOME OF THE WHOPPER®, the BURGER KING® system operates in more than 12,500 locations serving more than 11 million guests daily in 81 countries and territories worldwide. Approximately 90 percent of BURGER KING® restaurants are owned and operated by independent franchisees, many of them family-owned operations that have been in business for decades. Burger King Corp. is privately-held by 3G Capital, a multi-billion dollar, global investment firm focused on long-term value creation. For more information on 3G Capital, please go to http://3g-capital.com. To learn more about Burger King Corp., please visit the company's website at www.bk.com or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50224856&lang=en
BURGER KING(R) Serves up a Freshly Expanded Menu Featuring Great-Tasting Garden Fresh Salads, Snack Wraps, Crispy Chicken Strips, Real Fruit Smoothies and Frappés (Photo: Burger King Corp.)
The content and opinions expressed within this press release are those of the author(s) and/or represented companies, and are not necessarily shared by Black PR Wire. The author(s) and/or represented companies are solely responsible for the facts and the accuracy of the content of this Press release. Black PR Wire reserves the right to reject a press release if, in the view of Black PR Wire, the content of the release is unsuitable for distribution.