For Immediate Release
April 17, 2012
(BPRW) More Than 67,000 Volunteers Spring into Action as Comcast and NBCUniversal Celebrate Their Commitment to Communities on 11th Comcast Cares Day
Annual Day of Service Will Surpass 2.5 million Hours Volunteered as Teams Lend Hands to Schools, Parks and Partners Across the Country
(BLACK PR WIRE)--PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--More than 67,000 Comcast and NBCUniversal volunteers across the country will spend Saturday, April 21, 2012, giving back to their communities as they take part in Comcast Cares Day, one of the nation’s largest days of corporate volunteerism. In its 11th year, Comcast Cares Day will also mark over 2.5 million hours volunteered and more than $11 million contributed to organizations on this day of service since it first began in 2001.
“For more than a decade, our employees, their families and their friends have made Comcast Cares Day one of the nation’s most impactful corporate volunteering events in our nation,” said Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and CEO, Comcast Corporation. “We are proud of the cities and neighborhoods where we work and live, and Comcast Cares Day provides a terrific opportunity to celebrate those communities by coming together and giving back to them.”
During this year’s Comcast Cares Day, approximately 650 projects will take place in 39 states and Washington, D.C. That includes some big projects planned in communities where Comcast and NBCUniversal employees work together, including New York City, Orlando, and Los Angeles.
“Comcast Cares Day is a shining example of the continued investment in our communities by our employees at both Comcast and at NBCUniversal,” said David L. Cohen, Executive Vice President, Comcast Corporation. “And we don’t stop there. We do our best work in our communities throughout the year. Tackling digital literacy, building tomorrow’s leaders and partnering with great community organizations all shape the positive impact we have on the community.”
On Saturday, volunteers will contribute their time and energy by providing maintenance, supplies and makeovers to local schools, parks, and community centers. Comcast Cares Day is also taking place during Earth Week, which is widely supported by NBCUniversal’s Green is Universal initiative. So many planet-friendly projects such as building community gardens, planting trees at parks, and managing recycling efforts will add to the diverse line-up of projects and communities.
Comcast and NBCUniversal also have partnered with many non-profit community organizations and local chapters of the National Urban League and the National Council of La Raza, who will be working side by side with Comcast Cares Day volunteers on Saturday. Additionally, teams from Comcast and NBCUniversal will be partnering with City Year, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Boys and Girls Clubs of America, among other local community organizations.
Below is a sampling of the multiple projects taking place on Comcast Cares Day:
• Miami (Miami-Dade Public Schools) – Approximately 500 volunteers will be on hand at Silver Bluff Elementary, a Provision 2 school in the Little Havana, to repaint the inside of the school, refurbish the computer lab, add a mural and build outdoor planter boxes. The National Council of La Raza will be on hand, along with volunteers from Comcast, Telemundo and NBC6-Miami.
• Philadelphia (Frankford High School, Tyler Arboretum, Downtown Philadelphia) – More than 400 volunteers will work side-by-side with City Year cleaning Frankford High School’s grounds, planting, building picnic benches, painting murals throughout the building, and refurbishing the cafeteria. NBC’s Weekend Today show will also broadcast live from this site Saturday morning. Elsewhere in the Delaware Valley, Cares Day volunteers will celebrate Earth Week by beautifying the Tyler Arboretum in Media, while the Green is Universal team will build a virtual garden in downtown Philadelphia.
• Denver (Boys & Girls Club of Metro Denver) – More than 300 volunteers are expected at the Broncos Branch of the Boys and Girls Club, where they will tackle several projects aimed at upgrading the facility. Work will include painting the entire inside of the club and the outside recreation area, playground clean-up, replanting an herb and vegetable garden, trimming trees, rebuilding shelving, and sanding and painting benches.
• New York City (Manhattanville Houses) – On the Friday before Comcast Cares Day, more than 150 volunteers from NBCUniversal and City Year and will be giving back to the local community by beautifying the Manhattanville Houses in West Harlem. Employees will join George Oliphant from NBC’s “George to the Rescue” clearing areas to build and plant vegetable gardens and painting wall murals.
• Los Angeles (Lankershim Elementary School) – This project will be led by the NBCUniversal team in Los Angeles and City Year. More than 300 volunteers will tackle painting projects and make other enhancements to the school grounds, including landscaping, cleaning and decorating outside walls, and improving the playing fields.
• Atlanta (Atlanta Community Food Bank) – The Food Bank delivers more than 30 million pounds of food each year to 700 agencies. More than 85 Comcast Cares Day volunteers will pack food boxes for distribution and will work on planting and upkeep projects in the food bank’s community garden.
• Dallas (Earth Day) – NBC5 is sponsoring Earth Day Dallas, an outdoor festival with more than 70,000 community attendees. Approximately 50 Cares Day volunteers will serve as greeters, guides, coordinators, and more.
Comcast and NBCUniversal support the communities they serve by volunteering, providing access to innovative technology, giving financial support and partnering with organizations to make communities stronger. Comcast’s focus is on building tomorrow’s leaders, promoting community service and expanding digital literacy. Since 2001, Comcast has provided $2.5 billion in cash and in-kind support to national and local non-profit organizations.
For more information on Comcast’s community investment initiatives, visit http://www.comcast.com/inthecommunity.
About the Comcast Foundation
The Comcast Foundation was founded by Comcast Corporation in June 1999 to provide charitable support to qualified non-profit organizations. The Foundation primarily invests in programs intended to have a positive, sustainable impact on their communities. The Foundation has three community investment priorities – promoting community service, expanding digital literacy and building tomorrow’s leaders. Since its inception the Comcast Foundation has donated more than $108 million to organizations in the communities nationwide that Comcast serves. More information about the Foundation and its programs is available at www.comcast.com/neighborhood. More information about the Foundation and its programs is available at www.comcast.com/community.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) (www.comcast.com) is one of the world’s leading media, entertainment and communications companies. Comcast is principally involved in the operation of cable systems through Comcast Cable and in the development, production and distribution of entertainment, news, sports and other content for global audiences through NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential and business customers. Comcast is the majority owner and manager of NBCUniversal, which owns and operates entertainment and news cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, local television station groups, television production operations, a major motion picture company and theme parks.
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. Comcast Corporation owns a controlling 51% interest in NBCUniversal, with GE holding a 49% stake.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50241923&lang=en
The content and opinions expressed within this press release are those of the author(s) and/or represented companies, and are not necessarily shared by Black PR Wire. The author(s) and/or represented companies are solely responsible for the facts and the accuracy of the content of this Press release. Black PR Wire reserves the right to reject a press release if, in the view of Black PR Wire, the content of the release is unsuitable for distribution.